Saturday, June 30, 2007

One down...

I finished my first week of my new job! Despite the culture of threats and intimidation, I made it through, and I am feeling cautiously optimistic about the weeks to come. I know it will be a lot of work, but it will be manageable. I had a couple of problem students in the first few days, but I think I got rid of one and hope that the others understand that they need to get into line for the weeks ahead. I have a lot of planning to do this weekend, but once it's planned it will be laid out and then all you have to do is get it done. Git 'er done, right? I am approaching this one day at a time, and a week at a time. I have seven weeks left. I keep telling myself that there is no need to make such a big production out of this ... I have a life and other things that are important to me, that have nothing to do with this crazy program, and when this is done I will go back to it. My job now is to be a good teacher and enjoy my summer. I can do it!

I am going to a big extravagant wedding tonight. I got a taste of what it will be like last night at the rehearsal dinner.... a little over the top for me. A lot, really. It's a small world of rich white people, you know. I was shocked last night to find that one of the groomsmen in the wedding is the son of my dad's grad school roommate. I am connected too- very weird for me!

It will be exciting today- it is a beautiful day and I get to put on a pretty dress and go to a fancy party. I won't analyze the situation any more deeply than that. People are entitled to the wedding they want to have.

Some of you may know that I gave up sugar last month, with this wedding as my goal. I haven't had any overt sugar since the end of May- I did it! Of course, in the process I was shocked to realize how many foods have high fructose corn syrup in them, so I know I had some unintentionally, but the big news is I had no candy or dessert. It was necessary... I was at a point where I could eat a whole bag of candy in one sitting, and I would use it as food/energy. My intention now is to only have candy and dessert every now and then, after a meal (not as a food). I think I broke the habit. I set today as my goal because I know this wedding will have amazing desserts- I am excited!

Ok, time to work a bit and then get ready for the big event. TMH is a groomsman so he is tied up all day, and I should take advantage of my time.

TMH has taken to calling me Pantalones. I like it.

1 comment:

Ms. Bizarro said...

Pondering Miss Pantelones!