Sunday, June 24, 2007

PMP's Pink Pantalones

Well, I have survived the week... and now I have another big scary week ahead.

Some highlights since I last wrote:

I drove home and my car almost died, but I made it. Turns out I REALLY need a new clutch (as opposed to sort of needing one, which the mechanic told me last year).

I hung out with my mom and my cat very briefly. It was nice to be home, but I got a little emotional about it. Change and transition (and stress) hit me hard for a couple of days.

I flew to my summer location, and got settled in with TMH.

I was "oriented" to my new job. There I found out that there is much I don't know about what I am doing. I found out that I get no desk or computer or anything. I guess they think they pay enough to justify that. I find out which class I will teach tomorrow (could be anything from students who can barely get a sentence out, to those who are fluent but need to learn to appreciate the nuances of English- makes it tough to plan at this point), lead orientation for the students on Tuesday, and then meet my class and start teaching them on Wednesday. It is all very new- a good learning experience. My new boss is really sharp- in a mean way- and tough. I am still feeling pretty nervous about the whole thing, though I was reminded (I reminded myself) that I am a good teacher, and I like teaching. I can handle this, I know. Right? I met the other new teachers, who seem mostly ok, though there are the requisite ESL crazies. I am not too optimistic for friends at the moment, but we'll see. I don't have to work tomorrow, so that's good. One more day to get myself together. All of the veteran teachers told us to enjoy it while we can... like our lives will be over once we start the program. I am trying to take it all with a grain of salt. I am a good teacher and I like teaching. Really!

I figured out how to take the bus. My commute is a snap.

Last night I went out with TMH to celebrate my new job. He took me for an amazing dinner, and then we walked all over the city and had some drinks on the water. We then went to a bar closer to home where we played darts.... I won once, which was very exciting. I wore my pink pants, which seem to be pretty popular, and inspired the title of this post. (TMH is funny... he likes to pretend he can speak Spanish , and he throws in words every now and then. We both do it now... sometimes we even make up words that sound like they could be somewhere between Spanish and English. It's fun). In any case, pink pants are just what every girl (or woman) needs to feel happy and confident.

I just made a lasagna and we are waiting for it to bake... so we can enjoy Sunday dinner together. I will look positively upon the week ahead!

No comments: