Ok, this is no way to live, counting down the weeks of the summer. I have decided I have to rearrange my thinking. I know I can control the way I think about it. I have to separate the job from the weeks. The job is much better this week than it was last week, and let's hope that trend continues. Before I know it I will be done with the job (and HAPPY about it) and done with being here with TMH (and SAD about it) at the same time. I MUST ENJOY SUMMER. It is the only one I have, and when you live where I live you spend most of the year waiting for summer. It doesn't do any good to lament the job (which I don't like, it's a lot of STRESS, but I am making the most of it- and let's not forget it's getting better) or the fact that I won't have a break between the job and the new semester. Such is life- there is nothing I can do about it. At the same time, it's July, it's summer, it's the weekend, and it's time to enjoy! I can do something about that!
The week was better, I will say that again. My grumpy students are coming around and I am getting into the swing of things. It helped to have Wednesday off. I am getting adjusted to things, mostly. Wednesday we had some people over and enjoyed TMH's prime location on the river. We had an excellent view of the fireworks, without having to fight the crowds.
I can't think of any other noteworthy items from the week. I do miss girl time..... and Target. I also miss my mom and my cat. I miss my friends, too. Some of them are great, but others of them have been very bad at staying in touch with me. I wonder if this is just a fact of life as we all get older- it's depressing. Sometimes it doesn't feel much like summer... but then I should go back to my first point. This is the summer that I have and I need to try to take full advantage of it.
Oh, I know... the wedding. It was as extravagant as I expected, if not more so. It was also a lot of fun. It was nice to meet more of TMH's friends and remind myself that they aren't all rich people who don't care about anything. I only had a couple of people question my career choice ;) It was also nice to enjoy my first dessert in a month... it was quite good- well worth the wait! Now I just have to figure out how to proceed with my sugar addiction, which still hasn't been broken (I ate a lot of jelly beans after work one day this week. I was very disappointed in myself as I thought I had broken the habit. It all started because they actually had a "candy bar" at the wedding (all candy that matched their color scheme, of course), with little bags to take home. I didn't think I should take any, but TMH convinced me that it was ok. Little did he know that he was waking up the monster within- he came home that day and caught me with a blue tongue. The jelly beans are hiding in the fridge now. I am hoping I can still go back to my original plan to have dessert occasionally.)
Tomorrow I think we are going to take a short day trip out of the city, to the coast somewhere. I am looking forward to relaxing and having some quiet time- that's what summer is about, after all. Maybe I'll even have some candy...
No comments:
Post a Comment