Well, night really. I just wanted to write an update since my last post was so dramatic and bleak. Yesterday was really just a lot to deal with in one day, you know. I woke up and got to work, as I said I would. I researched jobs and sent lots of emails this morning... and lo and behold ( I just had to make sure that I spelled that correctly. I wrote "low" but somehow knew that was wrong), I got a response this afternoon. A woman at another university, we'll call this one Better University (it really is- some might say it's the best) may have some positions open. I just emailed her on a whim (it was really a follow-up email) with the thought that she might have some last minute openings. Apparently she might. I happened to mention that I would be in the area on Friday, since I was planning to visit TMH anyway, and now I find myself with an interview. It's not a job, but it's a start. Quick progress is not something to scoff at... and it definitely helped lift my spirits.
You'll be happy to know that my advisor FINALLY responded and I have work set up with him on Thursday. Hopefully at that time we will also get to the important issue of compensation, which he has avoided thus far. I figure at this point I have nothing to lose. Maybe this summer was just supposed to be a learning experience where I scrape by on what little I have saved. There is something to be said for the value of my time.... and learning experiences that will inform the progress of my degree. This is not to say that he won't pay me. I am just realizing that I might still be able to live with TMH and do productive things without a job, just for July, since I have the option of a decent position back here in August. It's not like I'll starve, or anything dramatic like that. I just have to keep looking forward.
1 comment:
The Glass is Half Full!
Post a Comment