Thursday, April 23, 2009

Recharged

Today was a great! Just wanted to update, in case anyone got too concerned about my previous post. I took a break and recharged. I am so grateful for my friends. I spent much of the afternoon with one of my best friends here. We have lot in common and have shared many of the same trials and tribulations of grad school (including the same advisor). We talked through some of my work issues, and her work issues, and all of our worries for the future, and suddenly we both felt better. Funny how that happens, right?

It's so much easier for her to be calm about my work and my position, and express confidence that I will finish ("you're so much more motivated than me!" "What, are you kidding? YOU are so much more motivated than me") just as it is easy for me to assure her of how well she's doing. It was nice to hear each other's insights and realize how things look from the outside (grad students have a big tendency to get too much into their own heads; as you may be able to tell from my writing, I have no problem thinking and thinking and thinking .... overthinking... losing perspective). It's crazy. I should get it, though. Grad students need a good support network. We definitely keep each other going.

I got home from my time with her and sat down to write. And I wrote and wrote and wrote. (Yes, I still have a problem with chemistry, but all is not lost. I can figure this out. You have a problem: solve it.) And then I went for a run. Whew. What a fantastic day!

2 comments:

Ms. Bizarro said...

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. Sounds like we are both finishing this week on a much better note! I'm looking forward to tasting cakes and having PMP-E time this Saturday!

MEP said...

Love you PP - even if it is from Afar!