Sunday, April 5, 2009

So what. I am a rock star.

TMH likes to sing this song to me sometimes. It's inspiring. He changes the lyrics. "So what... I am a punkin' (he alternates PMP, punkin [not sure where that came from, and not to be confused with pumpkin], and lones [from pantalones] most frequently) I got my punk moves." Yep, that's me. I got my punk moves.

This week was interesting. I made minor progress on my dissertation- one more faculty interview- but that was a major relief because it was with a department that I was worried about cooperating. I am STILL waiting for access to student data. Every couple of days I get an email from the woman asking me another question, and every time I think I might be about to get the data. And then I don't. She confessed the last time that she was new to all of this. I was hoping to have it by the end of last week so I could start setting up student interviews now, but I still don't have it. Maybe tomorrow... I can't lose another week.

I am doing better at staying calm, though. I am doing all I can do right now. I just have to take it day by day and adjust accordingly. Because it was a relatively slow dissertation week I took the opportunity to do other things to plan ahead for the coming storm. I started cleaning out my apartment and taking stock of everything to keep and get rid of... yikes! I also researched and ordered myself a new computer. I'll have to give my work computer back all too soon and I need to get my "dissertation laptop" up and running. I am very excited for it to come. I took advantage of some deep student discounts... it should be a very nice machine. Most importantly, it will be plum purple!

So, online shopping was a big activity this week. Computers, dresses (for weddings- we have SO many coming up), baby gifts, apartments. It's been a huge stressor that we still don't have a place lined up. Yesterday TMH found a great place, and someone came in right after him and put money down (while he was on the phone with me confirming that we should get it!) We were so disappointed... but then today he saw another place that was even better, and it looks like we are going to get it. Of course it's not official yet, but I am super optimistic. This place sounds amazing. 2 bed, 2 bath, working fireplace, new appliances, washer/dryer in unit, NO cat rent, in a great location. Character and new stuff at the same time... can it be? So maybe we can have it all. I can't wait for it to be official! It will be an exciting first step in starting our lives together. We're not kidding ourselves; it's going to be a bit of a transition! An exciting transition, though.

So, let's hope for a good week ahead. I will do a dance of joy when I get my hands on this student data, and it WILL happen. And when our apartment is confirmed...and we can start really planning. On the weekend TMH will be here and we'll get to have a fun Easter with his family. I am excited to see his little niece again. I am well-suited to being Aunt PMP. And so I say "so what" to everything else!

No comments: