Today is a milestone for PMP's Ponderings... my 100th post! How should I mark the occasion? I am so glad I started a blog... it is proving to be a rewarding experience and a valuable way for me to keep track of my life.
I am back from my trip to the Big City, and despite being exhausted I am pretty happy. Here are some highlights:
1. I got to see my advisor from my Master's program. He is the most enthusiastic and supportive (and helpful) professor I have ever had. I found out that he was giving a talk-I attended and said hello. He was so excited to see me and we went for a drink to catch up. He gave me some valuable advice on my current work, encouraged me and talked me through some of my doubts. He even offered to give me feedback as my work progresses. Yay for mentors- I forgot I had one there for a while. I also got to hear about the trials and tribulations of his current job in the Deep South. Let's just say he's not someone who really fits in down there (he did not get tenure in my master's program, which was pretty tragic for him and the department, in my opinion. I guess it doesn't pay to be a supportive and enthusiastic mentor. I am confident he will find something better, though). It was so great to see him!
2. All in all, the conference was a positive experience. I made some new contacts and cultivated some existing ones. I am getting better at playing the game. Despite the 12 hour days, a little coworker annoyance, and some other unfortunate low points (you know they are inevitable), it was a productive, professional experience.
3. I got to spend time with one of my best friends. It's always great to see her. She reminds me of who I am--- sometimes I need that.
4. We went out for lunch to enjoy our sunny Saturday afternoon, and despite the chill we sat outside to eat. As we sat, one of my old friends from college walked by and recognized me! We hadn't seen each other since a mutual friend's wedding in 2002. It was so great to see her. Turns out she lives right there in my friend's neighborhood. She sat with us for a bit and we got to catch up. Everyone says that things like this happen, but they don't usually happen to me. Excitamante!
5. Spring sprang while I was out of town. When I left on Wednesday everything was still brown and dead, and dreary. Today you can start to see a hint of green. And, as icing on the cake, it is nearly 60 degrees and sunny! Soooo nice... we are entering the best time of year here. I know better than to think that it won't get cold again, but today is real evidence that spring is coming. If you listen closely you can hear the whole town breathing a sigh of relief.
Now it's time to get organized for the week ahead. The sunshine is helping me face it with a positive attitude. Life is good, they say.
Happy 100th post!
No comments:
Post a Comment