Remember Jonathan Livingston Seagull, or was it just my middle school English teacher who forced us to read and watch such a thing? I don't really remember everything that happened to him, just that he had a pretty dramatic life for a seagull. Apparently he fought against conformity and struggled to be "a seagull in a million." Of course it's a timeless lesson, but I am not sure how well middle schoolers respond to seagulls. On the other hand, it was clearly memorable... that was 20 years ago!
I decided to update my picture in keeping with my new spring look (Though it is supposed to snow this weekend, after a week in the 50s and 60s, didn't I tell you? That's what spring means here). TMH actually suggested it. Perhaps he was tired of me trying to get out from under that damn tree. Clearly I haven't made it under, over or around it, yet. It's still bearing down on me.
The seagull works for now. Maybe it means I am dreaming about being at the beach. The seagull is just hanging out right there, on my favorite beach, in the waves, without a care in the world. Or maybe I have some subconcious memories of Jonathan Livingston Seagull. I am definitely marching to my own drum at the moment. Or maybe it symbolizes how much I am being pushed around lately... the back and forth of the waves is kind of analogous to my struggles with my work. Two steps forward, two steps back, you know? Everytime I think I am making progress there is much farther to go... just like when you get stuck out in a wave and you think you might never make it back to solid ground.
Or maybe it just means I am dreaming about being at the beach. I do know, assuming all goes well, and I get through all the current hoops, TMH and I will be there in less than two months.
No comments:
Post a Comment