Like Mr. Pitts, I'm feeling a bit daunted.
I found out this week that I should write three chapters of my dissertation by December 1 if I want to defend my proposal by the end of the semester. The proposal defense is the last hoop standing between me and my research. When my advisor told me, I thought he was kidding. Nope. Apparently these three chapters make up the dissertation proposal. There is a difference between saying "three chapters" and saying "proposal" don't you think? Apparently I have much of the work done from my A-exam papers, so that's good news. Somehow I still feel it's all a bit daunting!
The major issue is that I am struggling to get back into work mode. I need to get back to my A-exam schedule, which has been tough. I think I'm just kind of burned out, though it's way too early for me to be burned out! I have three weeks, basically. I just have to get my mind back into it. I can do it!
Things continue to be a bit off. My friend's mom is still in the hospital, though she seems to be doing better. The first round of lay-offs hit TMH's company, and one of his good friends was let go. That was sad and a bit scary. My work has been unusual and busy. Busy is the norm but I have been busy with unusual things, I guess. TMH and I haven't been able to make any winter break plans because of his schedule and my uncertainty about my proposal. At least we have Thanksgiving plans set. We are both looking forward to going to TMH's parents' house. All of his siblings will be home, and of course the big draw is my future niece. She's super cute and growing up quickly! We are both excited about that trip, at least.
In other good news we have started planning a bit more for the wedding. I am getting excited about bringing my close friends and family together. We may win a prize for the number of people who come from far away for our big day. I am especially touched because my cousin M in Australia is so excited to be a part of the wedding. My relationship with her really means a lot to me. In any case, it's nice to have such a happy occasion to distract me.
But for now I am sitting in TMH's apartment (so good to have gotten away from the craziness at school and to see him again!) with a day of writing ahead of me, feeling a bit daunted. Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment