Friday, November 7, 2008

Some people will say you are going the wrong way...

when it is simply a way of your own.

This was the caption in the congratulations card that TMH sent me last week. I love it. Unlike those who started out with a clear plan, I have been meandering around for a while, but I am making my own road, and look at where I am ending up!

I can't believe it's Friday again, and it's been almost two weeks since I passed my exams.

I took it easy the first week, which seems only reasonable. Unfortunately my job made it hard for me to take it too easy... which, again, seems mostly reasonable. I got to catch up with some good friends, and start thinking a bit more about the wedding, which is definitely exciting! TMH came to visit last weekend and we celebrated. I felt like we had a mini vacation.... well-deserved for both of us, to be sure.

This week has been really unusual:

1. I can't seem to get my committee to pay any attention to me (this in itself is not unusual!). Despite my success, I am on a time line and I need to move forward with my proposal. I have to get the proposal defense done so that I can start my research next semester. The only person concerned about my time line is me so I have to continue to be determined and push things through! It's an uphill battle, but I am fighting it. It's fun to read the PhD attrition statistics: students with my profile (older, female, working, after completing exams/coursework) are at high risk for dropping out, and I can understand why! It doesn't help that my whole life is contingent on the proposal defense right now. It will affect my winter break plans as well as my plans for next semester. I know I will figure it out, like I always do, though. I just haven't done it yet. For once I need some guidance, so I have to make sure my committee comes through for me.

2. We have a new president! The world has changed. Of course the beginning of this week was taken up by much attention to the elections. I was so happy to see the results, particularly with the changes going on in the South. It's an exciting time, for sure!

3. Despite such excitement, we are living in scary economic times. TMH will be hearing about lay offs in his company soon. He said there is no point in getting worried; nothing we can do but see what happens. I hope the new president and the renewed feeling of hope will help us move forward out of the serious mess we are in now.

4. A good friend's mother is in the hospital. I spent much of Wednesday night in the ER with her. It was pretty scary. She is OK for now, which is good news. It was actually my first time to visit the hospital here... definitely an eye-opening experience. Her trip to the ER coincided with my own mother's cataract surgery (my mom is convinced she's going to lose her vision, since she is the ultimate worrier; so far she seems OK). Of course my mom's situation is much different from my friend's, but we definitely have some things in common. Being the only child/only daughter with an aging mother is quite an overwhelming and emotional responsibility. I was just glad I could be there for my friend, and of course I will continue to be there for her as her mom goes down this road. So in addition to everything else, this was a week to think about mothers and daughters. I really miss my mom and look forward to seeing her over Christmas.

In any case, it's time to get back at it as I strive to move forward. I am making my own road, people. Look out!

No comments: