Friday, January 18, 2008

I'm back in the saddle again...

Argh, what a terrible song. I can just hear him extending the BACK. Sorry.... I couldn't resist.

Let me revert to list format to cover the events since my last post, some good, some not so good.

1. I went to the big city for TMH's birthday and got to see a good friend. We had an amazing time, though apparently we didn't sleep enough and tried to do too many things (we actually went to 2 parties on TMH's birthday- I have never had to meet some many people all at once, ever) because now we are both sick. It was an amazing weekend, though. I even got to visit the original Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore and Tigger. They were happy to see me.

2. On Tuesday I packed up car and cat, said goodbye to my mom and started the LONG journey north. All was going amazingly well until I ran into an unexpected freak snowstorm. My car skidded on a curve on the interstate and I slid right off the road into a ditch. I don't think I need to explain how scared I was. I just kept thinking "don't hit a tree, don't hit a tree, don't hit a tree," because that would have been the end of my car. I miraculously did not hit a tree, or anything else for that matter, and everything was fine except that I was stuck in the ditch (I am so lucky there was a ditch. Clearly hitting a barricade might have been worse than hitting a tree). I called AAA to come tow me out, they came in 5 minutes and everything was seemingly fine- I was ready to get back to my drive as if nothing had happened. Before the tow truck driver left, though, he told me there was a 20 car pile up on the road ahead. CRAP. So, let me say again that I am grateful I slid off the road into a ditch because I am convinced I would have been part of that 20 car pile up. Did I mention the snowstorm came out of nowhere? So, that meant that I was stuck there for another 2 hours (it takes a long time to clear a 20 car pile up, you know). Then I continued on my drive, and was mostly ok (the freak snowstorm suddenly ended and it was sunny and dry for quite a while) except towards the end of the trip when it started to get snowy again and I was convinced I had already used up my good luck. (Did I mention I need new tires? I am taking my car in on Monday). I finally made it back- let me say I have never been so grateful to be here in all my life. My cat was pretty grateful too- can you believe she spent 12 hours in the car with me, didn't cry and didn't make a mess? She must have known not to send me over the edge. And I did realize that this is "home," at least for now.

3. I got sick. I never get sick. It's understandable, though, given the nature of my weekend and then the helatiousness of my drive.

4. I went up to school on Wednesday to get organized and meet my advisor. While I did get a bit organized, my advisor didn't show up. At that time I realized I was really sick so I went home and went to bed. I slept almost all of Wednesday afternoon and then Wednesday night.

5. I went up to school again on Thursday to get even more organized and try to meet my advisor again. This time he showed up and we had a good, albeit anxiety-inducing meeting. I am just nervous because of all the things that have to fall into place for things to work out for me, but I am on the right track. I have my courses set for the semester and I know what I have to do. I will mention my frustration though- despite at least 3 emails from me (two with the attachment) with specific questions about parts of my proposal, he had not read it. He didn't even try to pretend. HMMM. The sad thing is, I wasn't surprised.

6. I made an appointment to meet with the other potential committee member. Unlike my advisor, he did give me some feedback fairly quickly. I think I should be able to convince him to be on my committee, resolving at least some of the uncertainty facing the future of my PhD.

7. I made an appointment to go to the dentist next week. I can't get my occlusion guard soon enough. I'm having nightmares about losing all my teeth.

8. I cleaned, did laundry, organized and in all other ways refreshed my apartment for 2008. It was therapeutic. It's so nice to be back in my apartment. My mom got me a new duvet cover for Christmas and it really brightens up my bedroom. Yay for a fresh start!

9. TMH was going to come see me this weekend since he has Monday off but now he's not since we're both still sick. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the drive. Boo. I know it's the responsible thing to do- we both have to get better. He said this way we can have more fun next weekend. Ok. Being responsible is kind of sad sometimes, though. Lonely, for sure.

But, all told, it's good to be home!

No comments: