... talk to themselves? (Under the guise of talking to their cats. She understands some).
...watch reruns because they can be good company?
...think that Charlie Gibson might actually be talking to them when he says "and I hope you had a good day"? (I did, thanks Charlie. How was your day?)
....think of some TV characters as their friends? (Ok, not really. But sort of... there is something comforting about watching Sex and the City, for example. I was always jealous that those women had each other. They had a whole episode about secret single behavior. They would understand. The Friends would understand too, for sure... )
So, I'm lonely. I am coming down from a very active (and social) winter break. On the one hand it is great to be in my own space again. I have been nesting, and really enjoying it. I do need my time alone, I love my apartment, and I would rather be alone than spend time with people I don't like. Too many great friends live too far away and/or are too busy to talk frequently. TMH was also here on the weekend, and we had a great time. I think I am feeling even more lonely right now because I realized that we are back to our distance routine again. And, of course, it's winter, which is always a bit of a social low point around here. I know I could try to see more people, but when it comes down to it there are only a few around here that I really enjoy.
At the same time, I am super busy. I think most people living my sort of life are too busy to be lonely. TMH doesn't seem to get lonely. At the moment he doesn't even have time to think about it, he is working so much. I am getting into a routine, and my life doesn't have that much room for people: it is inherently solitary. Apart from classes and teaching I am supposed to be alone, reading and writing. The minimal time I do have to spend is not really time when I want to be out. Hence, I watch my friends on TV before I go to bed. Sounds kind of sad, huh?
Don't get too alarmed. I am not as pathetic as I may seem. I know... I know what you're going to say. This is all temporary and I should enjoy my time while I have it. Yadda yadda yadda. I do, for the most part. I am lucky. But right now, I'm lonely....
1 comment:
Nooooooooo! Pick up the phone if you are lonely!
Post a Comment