Thursday, May 31, 2007

Vacaciones

Well, I here I am on vacation, sort of. I actually had to flee my mom's house, and the slow dial-up connection to do some work. I am sitting in the public library in my hometown, mostly done with my work, and feeling a bit nostalgic. A bunch of kids are sitting around me, doing their homework and waiting for their parents. I also used to sit here and do my homework. Let's not think about how many years ago that was. The librarian who was the librarian when I was little is still here. I've always liked him and I was happy to see him today. He used to eat his lunch at the Hardee's across the street, which was also the notorious sight of my first "real" job. In a way it is nice to see that some things don't change. I have to admit that it can be mildly alarming at the same time. I wonder about people who have always lived in the same place. I guess they don't think about such things.

Hmm. Where to start? Let's see. TMH and I had a great time at the beach. It was perfect weather, we ate yummy seafood, we had quality time, and most importantly we were just able to chill. Excellent vacation. He left Tuesday and since then I have been living my mom's routine. It's pretty healthy, I have to say. Wake up, swim for an hour, spend an hour or so eating healthy food, run some errands/do chores, do some reading, maybe go for a run, spend more time eating more healthy food (probably even veggies from the farmer around the corner), clean up, go for a walk, read/watch TV, go to bed. Everything slows down a lot when I'm at my mom's. It's not just the dial-up- there is an entirely different rhythm to her routine. Of course part of it is that she is getting old, but I think in general she has always marched to her own drum, at her own speed. When I am home now I do a pretty good job of just doing what she does- it seems the best way to spend quality time with her, and as you can tell from the way I've just laid it out, it is a nice life for vacation. Of course when I am not here I know she does other things, too. Her errands and chores may become a little more challenging, as she is starting to fix up the house in the hopes of selling it "soon." She is planning for her coming old age. This is the scary part- and it is why I do what she does when I'm home. I know that things won't be this way forever.

Oh well, I have finished my work now, and I only have a couple more days to enjoy this routine before I have to get back to school. Unfortunately I still don't have any confirmed summer job news. I know I will within the next few days, though. Time to go home and eat some more healthy food. I am attaching a couple of photos from the beach.


1 comment:

Ms. Bizarro said...

Sounds like a perfect vacation! You look relaxed and happy. See you when you get back.