I am sure you all know the difference between good-busy and bad-busy. Today was a rare good-busy kind of day- the most productive and satisfying I have had in a while. Today I:
1. Sent Arrogant Prof a draft of my paper.
2. Studied for stats in the morning with my school/stats support network (Yay for having school friends). We have fun and get things done at the same time. We have our exam tomorrow from 7:30-9:30. I guess our professor doesn't care that Thursday is TV night. It will be quite a feat for me- I have to be smart at a very unusual time.
3. Had an end of the year luncheon at work. It was awesome. We went to a fun restaurant with a great view of the town. Of course we all over-ate... the desserts were the best. I can never say no to desserts!
4. Had a meeting with my coworker and finalized a proposal for a conference next year.
5. Had a meeting with my advisor. He is not one of the professors I have described here thus far. I really like him (good thing, since he's my advisor) but we don't meet that often so when we do the meetings become very high-stakes (We have to talk about my whole life at one time). He told me he was pleased with my progress this year and I am on track with my coursework (what a relief- that is definitely music to a grad student's ears). We also talked more about my work, and he gave me some helpful feedback. Finally, we confirmed that I will work for him for a couple of weeks, part-time, in June. This is good news- it will be extra money and good experience! I am still waiting for official confirmation of a 6-week teaching position starting at the beginning of July at a Good University near the home of TMH. It seems my summer is shaping up nicely. No matter what- I will be at the beach for Memorial Day and at home for a bit after that. I need a break!
6. Met briefly with another professor who will probably be on my committee. We confirmed that we will have a longer meeting next week to talk about my work in more detail. She was also very positive about what I am doing.
7. Got an email back from Arrogant Prof telling me how great my draft is. (It now starts with a paragraph that is part mine and part his). He said I am on track- all I need to do now is finish the paper and turn it in! That was very good news (I had NO idea what kind of feedback I was going to get).
8. Did work for work. Today that meant listening and rating more student speech samples. I am quite the expert on English language proficiency.
9. Came home and dragged myself out running. It was just too nice outside, and I was on a high from my good day and all my good feedback.
So, yay for productivity! Now I am exhausted, as you might imagine. I have to do a little more work, and make sure I get to bed early. Tomorrow will be another full day that will end with an exam. We might just have to go out afterwards. I will definitely need a beer by then!
No comments:
Post a Comment