Monday, May 5, 2008

One hoop closer!

So, if you know me at all, you know that I have spent the past few weeks stressing out about a high-stakes meeting I had today (my first official committee meeting). Guess what happened?

Everything went well.

I know. EVERYTHING WENT WELL. Can you believe it?

I bet you can, especially if you aren't a big worrier like me.

Of course it went well, PMP, you have been working hard and you're a smart cookie.
Oh right. But don't I have so much more to do?
Of course, of course, but one step at a time.

(That's how my conversation with you goes in my head).

So, I was nervous before the meeting, but once it got started I felt really confident. My goal today was to be confident and show them what I knew and how excited I am to do my proposed project. Mission accomplished! I starting by having my committee members introduce themselves and talk briefly about their current work. That was a great start- they were all interested in each other's work, and they said things like "wow, great that you are on PMP's committee. How appropriate!" Yay. So it was clear to them why they were all there. Then I talked about my work and they agreed I was done with coursework. Yay again. I mean, of course I was operating under that assumption but now it's official. Then we talked in more detail about my plans and they gave me some good suggestions. Helpful suggestions. Remember how a committee is supposed to be helpful? They actually were. Yay, again. They got along well, and they seem to be on the same page. My proposed schedule sounded good to them, too. They will be getting ready to ask me my big exam questions when I get back in August.

After the meeting my advisor asked me to stay back for a few minutes. I was worried, of course. He asked me how I thought things went. I said "Oh, I think they went great...... don't you?" He said he did. He said he was really proud of me and that this was the best part of being an advisor: seeing your students get focused. He said he has watched me really move myself forward. He was quite supportive and complimentary, even. Yay, again!

So, of course, I have my work cut out for me. It's going to be a busy summer, etc, etc, etc. I still have two papers to write to finish this semester, and I have absolutely zero motivation to do them. But, just for today, I feel triumphant. I know there will be many more hoops to jump through on this road called grad school, but tonight I am one (big?) hoop closer.

No comments: