Ok, first off I have to brag a little, and add to my list of accomplishments in 2007. I got all A's last semester! It's a real accomplishment, with taking 4 classes (let's not forget all my drama with statistics) and teaching one. Yay for me!
Secondly, I know I don't usually use this forum to wax political, but I am completely alarmed by what's going on with all the "social conservatives" in the U.S. The phrase "values voters" (can you hear the dripping disdain in my tone?) has really got me riled up. What does value voter really mean, anyway? What values, exactly, are up for consideration here? Does that mean that all of us non-born again, non-evangelical, non religious freaks have no values???? What about values like intelligence and integrity? Do they matter at all? What about that word freedom that everyone has been throwing around lately? What does freedom really mean? What is the future of freedom of speech, freedom of religion (read: freedom to NOT be a religious freak), or separation of church and state in a climate that might consider Huckabee to be a viable presidential candidate? It's scary, I tell you.
To me, value voter is synonomous with hypocrite. H is for HYPOCRITE.
3 comments:
Congrats on all the A's! After watching you get A after A in Dr. Orders' class, I am not at all surprised that you can ace everything you touch. :)
Values Voters. They absolutely mean we don't have morals b/c we aren't religious! It makes them feel superior and self rightous. Makes me sick. People have no idea how few rights we have left. Freedom of speech went out the window with the Patriot Act. I am terrified of Huckabee. I really think he stands a chance b/c it will all boil down to the Democrats having a woman and a black man running for President. None of the issues will matter at all...not that they ever do.
A couple more things-
Thought y'all might appreciate TMH's response to my news: "congratulations, you big dork."
I could go on and on about the values thing. I know it has been around forever.... family values somehow fired me up a little less than this new term... and this new candidate. It's all quite alarming...and is easier to ignore when you live in more progressive/liberal areas (ie university towns), which I usually do. Being home literally brings it home. I can no longer count the number of churches on the main street that leads to our neighborhood. Some of them are huge... with blinking signs... like compounds! Social conservatives have a real presence, and it's growing. I guess Sunshine Mom knows that all too well... it seems Huckabee's got her state in the bag, and she can't even go to the dentist without getting a religious lesson. Yikes!
All A's are awesomely Amazing! Well Done.
Post a Comment