Friday, August 24, 2007

Another Friday night....

And I ain't got noboby...
(Well, I do, but he's not here. I suppose I have my cat, and Foofy, but somehow that's not the same. It's starting to sink in that I live alone again. Bummer).

I know, I know, that's also not the real song. Still, it seemed appropriate. I just watched a piece about Cat Stevens. I forget what he goes by now. I have always liked him, regardless of his name, and was happy to see that he's gone back to music.

Anyway, it's been a bit of a week, to say the least. But, I survived.. and I am pretty happy. I am still sick, but I seem to be slowly getting better. I successfully crossed all the things I had to do this week off the list, and I think I did them well, if I have to say so myself. And of course I have to say so myself- I am back to the place where I hardly ever get feedback from anyone. I did have a productive and positive meeting with my advisor this week, and a brief but exciting conversation with my almost official second committee member. I guess this helps with my feeling that things are coming together. This semester I am shopping for my third committee member- so hopefully that goes well.

Work is ok- so far I am not so involved in it. Ok, I know, it has only really been 3 days, but I sense a change. I also really like the new guy. I think work might get easier... knock on wood. Let's not speak too soon... but so far so good.

I thought that my friends would want to go out tonight, since we are all back and it's warm out, but no such luck. I think we are all exhausted and overwhelmed- maybe summer ended to abruptly for everyone. I did get to see E yesterday, so that was nice. We had our first Target and Chinese of the year, so that made me feel more at home. She seems to be having an equally difficult transition. We just all need to get situated! I think after next week things will feel more settled. At least I'll know my classes and my schedule- at the moment everything's a little up in the air. Right now it is nice to be home and have some time to get organized, and back into the mind of school. I just read two of my final papers from last semester- and checked all my references, and found two books I need to read. Fun, right? I know this is why you aren't supposed to stop being a grad student over the summer- so you don't have an information gap (or memory loss) but what can I say? I had a job, and it was good and very worth it, and now is the time to get caught up on my other work.

After all my activities this summer, though, it does seem a little sad to be doing such things on Friday night. I know TMH is out right now- I certainly wouldn't mind to be back there with him. Oh well- he is coming next weekend for Labor Day, to celebrate my birthday a bit early, because then my mom is coming the next weekend, to celebrate my real birthday and her 70th! Unbelievable! I am really excited about both visits.

So, here's to the end of the first week... and a productive and happy semester ahead!

No comments: