One of my main lessons this year was that this is the most important question for a grad student. I have never spent so much time trying to articulate a problem. Problems. Writing a problem statement seems like it should be easy. My current task is to reduce nine pages of ideas into a tight paragraph. Who knew how valuable one measly paragraph could be? One question, even. Never before had I realized that every word must be justified, every term clearly defined, every nuance explained. Gone are the days of just writing what sounds good and makes sense. And, to make matters worse, your problem says everything about you. Where you situate yourself... how important you are... it's a lot of pressure! You think I'm exaggerating.
In the end it's all a little bit ridiculous, as TMH would say. It is kind of funny, though. Picture lots of grad students running around stressed about figuring out our problems. (e.g.:"I just don't know what my problem is!") And, once we have them clearly articulated, we are expected to write them on the wall, tape them on mirrors, put them under our pillows, carry them around with us- do whatever it takes- so that everything we think about revolves around that problem ALL THE TIME. Crazy academics.
Hmm.... maybe my problem is that it's after midnight, I have to teach in the morning, I haven't quite finished my problem statement, and I am writing this instead! Good night.
1 comment:
I have to ask the question - what is the purpose of squishing a complex problem into a paragraph? I can see a page, but a paragraph?
I would make a terrible PhD candidate. You are brave and I who am about to be unemployed salute you.
Post a Comment