Monday, June 22, 2009

Keep it bowlin'

Well, it's another rainy Monday. Must I complain about the weather? Anyone who lives anywhere near the East coast must know what I'm talking about so I won't go there in full force. I'll just say that we miss the sun.

TMH and I had a good weekend, though I felt a bit cheated because I had to work on Saturday from 9:00-2:00. That was the end of orientation. The rest of Saturday we took as a fun day (we needed it, and fun we had) and then yesterday we worked around the house all day. Our apartment is really shaping up! We have an added incentive to get things together: TMH's sister and little niece B are coming to visit this week. Yay! We are very excited to see them and show them around. I just hope the sun might decide to come out while they're here, but I guess we'll have to take what we can get.

Today is my last real day of relative freedom, if all goes well, I should say. Instructor orientation is done, students arrived and tested on the weekend and should be put into classes today. Some time late this afternoon I should get my official class assignment and find out who my partner teacher is, etc, so we can hit the ground running bright and early tomorrow. (We teach our own classes but also have a workshop with another class/teacher several times a week. I have learned that who you get matched with is a key part of summer happiness, because you have to work together so closely... so far I've been lucky so let's just assume my luck will hold...) We received an ominous email yesterday that fewer students than expected have arrived.... so people are a little worried. I think I should be safe because grad students are still coming to grad school (I think) but those who teach a more general population may have reason to fear. I guess we'll see in due time... there is nothing I can do about it so there is no point in worrying either way. Let me repeat that to myself a few times.

I have high hopes for the day: dissertation work (gotta get a good schedule set up before classes start), errands, more cleaning and organizing, laundry, and cooking (I have to do some domestic things in preparation for not having much time). Well, and of course, a good class and partner teacher assignment

And on that note I explain the title of this post, which I must credit to my friend E (thanks for sharing!):

June 22, 2009 Urban Word of the Day
According to Creed from "The Office", "Everyone likes bowling, so this is a phrase for when you want to tell someone to stay positive. For example, if someone tells you they lost their job, you can just tell them to keep it bowlin’ and that’ll cheer them up."
Hey, keep it bowlin', buddy. So, keep it bowlin', everyone!

1 comment:

Sunshine Mom said...

I would LOVE to trade our unrelenting sun and 104 heat index with your clouds and rain! This is the hottest summer we have had since we moved here 6 years ago. Usually the summer is in the upper 80's, hot but pleasant. This summer is crazy, suffocatingly hot. :( Yuck.