All is well. I have a second to breathe now so I thought I'd post an update.
I forget about how crazy this program is. I know, I know, I said it already. Part of it is that it's a lot of work. A lot of mental activity. A lot for the students and for the instructors. That part I understand: it's an intensive summer school get-ready-for-grad-school-and-be-overwhelmed kind of deal. I get it. You are supposed to be exhausted. What I don't get is the logistical ridiculousness. That is the stuff that makes us all want to pull our hair out. Last minute changes, room changes, buildings we can't get into, lack of necessary equipment, new books that no one can find, new students that come out of nowhere, etc. To say you have to be flexible is an understatement. But the icing on the cake is that they don't give us anywhere to put anything. Not a table, not a chair, not a desk, not even a corner cubby, nook of ANY kind. Not one place to put ANYTHING. And no, we can't leave anything in our classrooms, because that would make too much sense. Plus, we are constantly getting reminded to watch our belongings. Summer school is like a gold mine for thieves, as you might imagine, given the abundance of naive, rich kids and all of their expensive toys. So I have to carry everything (all these ridiculous books we need, student work, lesson plans, copies of class material, a laptop so the students can do presentations and we can get online in the classrooms- I mean, really, the "best university in the world" can't put some equipment in their classrooms? And I should carry it all with me? I even had the roof leaking in my classroom yesterday. Literally dripping water on the table. Seriously? The students just kind of looked at me. Hey, I never said it was the best university in the world, and the roof is hardly my responsibility). There are three of us in this boat. You should see us: three pack mules, stooped lower everyday. My two compatriots are more professional at this than I am (that is, they are used to having no office, ever) and have wheely bags, like stewardesses. It's fun to watch them navigate the cobblestones with laptop bags and purses around their necks. I just have one enormous bag and my laptop bag. The constant rain makes the picture even more entertaining. And should I mention our need to ride public transportation? (which is an adventure all by itself, and may merit another blog post soon. CRAZY crazy crazy people ride the bus, you know- I am not used to city life, yet). Oh well. I need to come up with some kind of solution: my back hurts already!
But such complaining aside, things are good. My class is great, the students are motivated, and I am having fun. My partner teachers are nice, responsible and easy to work with. Yippee! It's Week 2 now so there is a bit more time and things are getting smoother. But I can breathe a huge sigh of relief. I am going to make it!
Things were even more chaotic last week because we had house guests, the first in our new place. Everything went well though; I think even my cat was happy to have them. TMH's sister and little daughter were here and we had a fantastic time! Little B is so much fun, and I have to say that TMH and I have really embraced being Aunt and Uncle. It's pretty cool. B is super advanced for her age (she's already potty trained, and can speak in full sentences, and she's not even two!) I will say, though, there is nothing like spending a weekend with an almost two-year old to make you realize how much work kids are!
Anyway, that's my update. We're excited because it's a short week. TMH and I are looking forward to a relaxing but festive long weekend.... and maybe the sun will even come out? Please?
2 comments:
What are you are describing reminds me oh so much of teaching in Korea and China. It's preposterous that such a renowned school in these United States is making people teach and learn without necessary resources, and a LEAKY ROOF? WTF? You are far more patient and forgiving than I am. You know I wouldn't last 2 seconds there! haha
Hope to catch up with you at some point. Hang in there~soon it will be over and with any luck you will never have to teach at their summer insane asylum again! (Either that or you will be running it and will fix so much of what's wrong!)
Hugs!
Post a Comment