I'm sitting in the Chipotle (mmm, love it!) in the university square waiting for my next interview at 3:00. It's "spring" break and I am staying with TMH trying to collect data at the other university in my study. So far it's been a bit of a trial getting people to talk to me. I am trying to talk to economists today. Let me tell you, they are not your average folks. It's hard to explain; it's like their brains work in a completely precise way. Apparently you don't have to speak English if you can speak economist. And well, I already knew that about chemists. So it should make for some interesting dissertation findings, assuming I get people to talk with me. Even if I don't, I have a lot of insight to share at this point. It's so strange to be here doing what I'm doing. I feel brave, or something.
In addition to doing my research TMH and I are looking for an apartment. My landlord rented my place for June 1, so it's official. I am moving out and onward. Second thoughts, anyone? I wouldn't say I am having doubts, just fear and anxiety that comes as I realize what huge changes are about to take place. I will be moving in with a man, my future husband, moving away from my comfortable little apartment in the small college town that has been my home for the past 5 years, and to the "big city" (even though TMH says it's a small city), moving away from the most important job I've had thus far in my career, into a new phase of my life. I have no guarantee of employment after summer school again (and who does at this point? I did learn that my current job is going away after this semester, so that makes things a *bit* easier), though I am optimistic. And well, I'll be on my own really, writing my dissertation, trying not to turn into a hermit. I'll miss my friends and my comfort zone... and let's face it: moving just sucks. SUCKS. But, it has to be done. And parts of it are exciting, right? The good news is that TMH does not seem to have had even one second thought. We were joking about it. It's time. His response to any of my queries on this subject: "Well, I put a ring on it."
Apartment hunting is tedious and time-consuming. It's all about trade-offs. Yes, we want a great place close to everything, and no, we can't afford to have it all. So we have to decide where the balance comes between quality/size of the apartment and location. And how much they want to charge for a cat. Seriously, some landlords have got to be kidding. But if they can get money for it, they'll charge, of course.
Needless to say, so far break hasn't been much of a break. We've been going non-stop, and it seems like there is always something important to discuss. It's good to have the time, though, of course. I hope by the end of the week to have made good progress on my work. And maybe we'll even have a place to live. I'm not sure how I'll do on learning how to speak economist, though.
No comments:
Post a Comment