Monday, March 16, 2009

Grammatical Errors

Yes, I know I make them. I know. And I know it's shameful, especially considering my line of work. I have to think about it's and its sometimes, and I don't always use the right punctuation, and preposition placement sometimes confuses me. But I like to think that I don't make egregious errors frequently (and I think blog language, or the language of my rants, is in a slightly different category from professional writing).

This morning my current boss sent out an email to our entire professional group. It was basically a one sentence email: The time works great for _________ and I.

Really? Really. You are the director of a program that purports to teach professional language and communication skills to students from around the world and you send out a sentence like that to our professional group? I just had to share. Had. To. Share.

A couple of times recently I have been in a position to point out her errors. I have to do it very strategically, as she is not one to like to be told about much. I can say, "you know, I'm not sure, but I think it's ____________." (She also likes to make up word forms, you see). She gets the point and then can make it her idea. "Oh, definitely, it's certainly _____________." Like, how can you not be sure? LOL.

And BTW, while I'm on the subject, since when do people confuse then and than? Seriously? Seriously.

2 comments:

Ms. Bizarro said...

YIKES. I have to laugh a little.

PMP said...

Oh I know you know! I hope you laughed a LOT.