Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Test me

Normally I tell people not to test me... they might be upset by what happens. But in this case I have no choice. I have officially started my A-exams, which are supposed to show that I am ready to be a scholar in my field, and that I am sufficiently versed in all the major streams of literature related to my work. They are the big obstacle standing between me and my research right now. Me and my future. Me and the next step. You get the idea.

TMH was here on the weekend, and we had a fantastic time. The weekend existed as sort of a buffer between me getting back and getting organized and actually getting to work on my exams. It was perfect. We had a party for my birthday and for our engagement on Saturday night for our friends here, which was lots of fun. It was great having him here... maybe I'll even get some pictures up at some point.

Then he left and I started my exams. Well, first I freaked out, cried (as per usual, though this time seemed a little more desperate), and rearranged my entire apartment. I love it! I have set up a new workspace in front of my sliding glass doors in the living room, and I still have my desk in front of the window in the my bedroom. It feels like a whole new place. I figured it's good to be excited about it, since I will be spending a lot of time working in here over the next 8 weeks. This is the first time I have rearranged in two years of living here, too, so it was needed. Once I figured out that the television actually could go in another spot, I was all set.

Anyway, my questions are challenging, but fair. They are appropriate and useful. I think I will feel accomplished when I finish them... so overall my reaction has been good so far. I am just a little concerned about managing my time and getting them done. I have to balance reading and writing, and I am supposed to spend two weeks on each of them. I also have to figure out how to do them and manage my work schedule. I know I can do it. I think the key is just sticking to a routine. Many people seem to go underground for this time period (which is why wedding planning will certainly not start until after I'm done). So don't be surprised if my blogging drops off a bit. I blog for my own sanity, though, so we'll see. Plus, I can't have my loyal readers getting too lonely. Wish me luck in my scholarly quest! All I keep saying is, "we'll see how it goes." We certainly will.

2 comments:

Ms. Bizarro said...

In the immortal words of Tony Little, "You can do eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!"

Yes, you can!

Anonymous said...

Good luck PMP!