Thursday, November 8, 2007

You keep using that word...

I do not think it means what you think it means.

(I am bummed that no one responded to my previous movie trivia challenge).

The overused words in my life right now are of a wide variety. Epistemology. I don't think anyone really knows what that means, as much as they would like to impress you by how much they do. Ontology, too. If you thought that things just mean what they mean, and you know what you know, boy do you have another thing coming. Unless you're not a grad student, in which case it doesn't matter in the slightest. Hmm. Regression. That's another big one lately. I wonder who decided it was a good idea to fit a straight line to things. And, why does our common usage of the word regression mean to go backward? Usually regressing is not a good thing, right? In statistics it's apparently the best thing you can do. Then there are the common words that are always buzzing around my head. Committee. Proposal. Stress. Craziness. Bad mood. BUSY. Bzz bzz bzzzzzz....

Given my stress, and my concern about how I will actually get everything done, I think I am mostly handling things OK. Do I sound confident, or what? This week has been one of the busiest I can remember, and I haven't even had any big papers due. That scares me. The big issue right now is that I am overscheduled. My days are so full that I don't have enough time to actually get things done, and even when I write things down it is easy to forget them. I have been starting to lose perpective...on the verge of a freak out... but I have kept it at bay. I am proud of myself (so far). I am doing my best... fitting things in... making stuff happen... pulling myself out of dangerous moods... only forgetting minor things. Let's hope I can keep it up as we enter the home stretch. That tread mill is starting to go faster, it's a slippery slope, yadda yadda yadda...

In committee news, I had a very positive meeting with the guy on Monday. That's all I'll say for now. It seemed premature to ask him, after only one meeting, but at least I haven't ruled out the possibility (I realized that I should shift my perspective. I was checking HIM out). He was nice and interested, which is way better than the alternative. It's sort of like dating. We can't get too serious too soon.... but we have starting the courting process. I am optimistic.

In TMH news, he is coming to visit this weekend. Yay for that! (I wonder what he'll think about my keeping the stats book next to the bed. He usually says helpful things, like "sometimes you gotta.") He helps me get out of my head a little bit... it will be nice to have a bit of a break from myself ... and see him, of course! Then in two weeks he'll be back, we'll see his parents for Thanksgiving, and it will be December. But, I am getting ahead of myself for now. One step at a time...

3 comments:

Sunshine Mom said...

Sorry about not responding to the last one...Say Anything? (I have never really liked that movie.) This one is Princess Bride. Inconceivable. :) :)
Yay for a TMH weekend!!

Ms. Bizarro said...

Sunshine Mom beat me to it! I knew this one. After the semester we should sit down with a bottle of wine (the big size) and watch Princess Bride together. I haven't seen it in years.

You're at the home stretch; just a little more. You are doing great!

Oh, and The Office was pretty funny last night!

Salty Miss Jill said...

I'm hoping that we can get together once more, minus the drunken heatbroken drama of strangers.