and be in one?! (Points to anyone out there who gets the correct movie reference).
I have been working on getting in a better mood. It has been a challenge this week. I am tired of being in a bad mood, though, so something has got to be done. Yesterday was particularly cranky. I took a lot of criticism on several different things that really aren't that important to me. Eventually a person has enough, you know? There is only so much criticism you can take. Of course, as a grad student, your threshold for criticism has to be rather high. This week in particular I feel like I have been forced to spend a lot of time on trivial things that really aren't that important, and then take flack for them. All of this negative energy caused me to make a list yesterday during my statistics class (he wasn't really talking about anything useful, and I was so mad I couldn't focus). This is what my list looks like:
GOALS
1. Don't take things personally.
2. Prioritize
3. React better to criticim (see #1).
4. Breathe
5. Rest
6. Run
7. Vent
8. Don't sweat the small stuff (see #2). Some things are not important.
9. Do my best with the constraints I face in the moment.
10. Try to maintain a positive attitude.
I felt better after making the list. I really have to try to live by it. I realize that things are only going to get more challenging as I get further into my work. I should not take it personally that my professor said she won't be on my committee. She is busy. I should not care about people who complain about things that I don't care about- it's a waste of energy. I have goals, but as was reinforced on Grey's Anatomy last night, "being aware of your crap and actually dealing with it are two very different things." I'm sure it's not surprising that these words really resonated with me.
I have started the day feeling better, though. It helps that I saw E last night and we watched TV and vented. (Sometimes too much alone time is bad for me- it can be easy to lose perspective). I also bought a new umbrella- it's very fun PMP. I have had a productive morning so far, and I have a meeting on Monday with another potential committee candidate. I have my work cut out for me this weekend, but I am feeling positive. So, for now, deciding to be in a good mood has been successful. Happy November, everyone!
3 comments:
Something else to add to your list -- "This too shall pass." Even the suckiest of days/weeks will eventually turn over and something good will happen. I have to remind myself all the time that even though x, y, and z totally blow, they are impermanent and will eventually go away. So we don't have to take it all in so deeply.
Hang in there, PMP! There's always Saturday night!!
You will be joining us this evening, right?
I can say, honestly, that it is very hard to decide to be in a good mood and then follow through. I have learned that this week, if nothing else. But it's over now!
Post a Comment