Sunday, January 16, 2011

Full Circle

Needless to say, it's been a long time. I couldn't just let the blog die without comment though. It's time for some closure.

So, I am now officially PMP, PhD. Or Dr. PMP, if you prefer. It's hard to believe but it all happened as it was supposed to. I had a great time going back to school for the defense, which coincided with our one-year wedding anniversary. I felt it was a time to freak out, but then reflect on all the work I have done to get where I am. Of course TMH was there with me; I couldn't have made it without him and his support. I also couldn't have made it without the support of many of you, so thanks for that, people! As I walked down the hill after the defense I thought about all the times I walked up and down that freaking hill. All the work, all the highs, all the lows, all the worries. And just like that, suddenly, it was all wrapped up. My committee patted me on the back and commented on my drive to push through, which is, in the end, how I made it.

So I defended at the end of September, completely lost the month of October (You mean I still have to go to work? I did the bare minimum), and finally got the final approval in early December. There were some dramas there, as you might expect, but in the end they didn't matter. I did it! No one can ever take it away from me.

So here I am, Dr. PMP. TMH and I went to Australia for the holidays, and had a fantastic, fantastic time! It was a perfect mix of family and travel, and the perfect way to celebrate the end of my big chapter with the PhD. I am not sure exactly what's in store for me next; I am employed officially through May and exploring options and trying to create possibilities for beyond. We'll see. I've decided not to worry about it, seriously. I plan to just take life as it comes. I think I have learned (or proven to myself) that I can handle it. I am ready!

I haven't decided what to do with this blog. In one sense, it's time to end it. It accompanied me through the highs and lows of grad school, and it's time to move on. On the other hand, I like having a venue for pondering, and clearly I will continue to ponder as life continues. I have a list of goals for 2011, for example, and this could be a good way to chronicle them, though it may be time to reinvent myself in a new or updated venue. In any case, stay tuned for news of my next chapter...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you, Dr. PMP! You can always start a new blog with this new chapter of your life. I look forward to keeping up with you online, in any event.

Big hugs, Ms. Bizarro.