1. It didn't have to happen. Accidents like that never do, right? One moment I'm walking along, not appreciating my feet at all, and the next moment... bam! Walking will not be the same again for many weeks. I could have been wearing different shoes, I could have crossed the street at a different place, I didn't have to be out at that particular moment, etc. BLAH.
2. It was ridiculous: an entirely graceful maneuver. While crossing the street, one flip-flopped foot slipped in a puddle. My full body weight went sliding into the curb, and my big toe on my other foot bore the brunt of the damage. WTF. I wish I had it on video. I knew as soon as my toe hit the curb....the pain. Oh, the pain.
3. Running is my sanity. Let me repeat, running is my sanity. (But, you knew that already). Not much I can do about that now, is there? Prepare for insane PMP. And I guess that means I'll have to eat less or something, too. Running lets me do a lot of things....
4. I am about to start a job where I am literally on my feet all day long. ALL DAY LONG. Not to mention all the crap I have to carry around.
5. It's summer! In addition to physical activity, I have lots of fun shoes to wear that I won't be wearing. And on that note, what exactly AM I supposed to wear on my feet?
But on the bright side:
1. It's my first broken bone. A nice milestone to cross, really.
2. It could have been way worse.
3. I don't have to walk up and down the hill anymore. In my old life, an injury like this would have been even more debilitating (I do miss walking up and down the hill, though).
4. Summer school doesn't start until Thursday and before then there's a chance that I will have a miraculous recovery or at least be able to perfect my hobbling skills (and figure out what shoes I can even put on!) I mean, the timing on this, if it had to happen, wasn't THAT terrible. What if it had been the week of my wedding, for example?
5.TMH and I were able to enjoy a great weekend BEFORE the toe incident. We got away for half a day on Saturday (soooooooooooo grateful for a beautiful Saturday), unpacked a bunch more and just generally had a chance to relax a bit. So that's good.
6. I went for a really long, amazing run on Friday. I was so proud of myself-- the furthest I've run in quite some time. So maybe subconsciously I was preparing myself for a break. Whimper.
7. I appreciate my toes now! They really are important little guys.
8. All I have to do these days is read and sit at my computer, and this injury does not interfere with my ability to do such activities. What if I had broken a finger?
So, see, I can be positive about it, really. (And notice that my bright-side list has more items than my sucks list....)
WTF.
2 comments:
So, so sorry. :( Good to look on the bright side, though. It is not your wedding week and that is a BIG plus. I'm sure the school will understand if you have to wear a slipper on that foot and need a stool because you can't stand.
Sit ups, buy some hand weights for in-home use, and scissor kicks whilst lying down. There's still plenty you can do other than running to keep in shape and burn off some steam.
The toe will heal (heel - heh) and in a few weeks you'll be on your... toes again!!
*HUGS*
Post a Comment