Sunday, October 5, 2008

It's time to move on.... it's time to get going...

...what lies ahead I have no way of knowing.

I know, it's been a long time. As you might expect (or know already) these exams have been kinda kicking my butt. I am just ready to be done! But I am doing it. Slow and steady wins the race, you know. This process is very much like a marathon, and I am in the home stretch now. Just for the record, as of today I have turned in 70 pages of text (30, 30 and 10). I am on the last part now. My goal is to turn it in on Friday morning before I head out of town for my good friend's wedding. Ah... the end is in sight!

A few developments since my last (long ago) post:

1. I had to deal with university bureaucracy that almost sent me over the edge. Only it didn't. I can't have my official oral exam (where they grill me on what I wrote) on the original date because my 3rd committee member won't be official until 2 days later (because of some weird university rules). 48 hours- ridiculous! It sounds like no big deal now, but at the time it was definitely a drama, involving me running around all over campus trying to navigate the system. So, my exam is now scheduled for October 27. That gives my committee an extra week to read my stuff, and me more time to stress about it. I guess it also gives me more time to get ready, too, but you know these things always take as long as you let them. Hopefully everything will go smoothly between now and then and my 3rd committee member really will become official. The irony was not lost on any of my committee: my project is entitled "Navigating Graduate School:... yadda yadda yadda" and here I am, living it. It takes experiential learning a little to the extreme if you ask me. One of the perils of studying organizational behavior, too. Organizations (and specifically universities) are dysfunctional... not really a shocker. It really makes me appreciate how hard things must be on my students.... hence, my dissertation topic. At least it all connects.

2. I have become incredibly fired up about Sarah Palin. Enough said. At least she (and Tina Fey) are keeping things lively in the news at the moment. Of course it will no longer be amusing if she actually becomes VP. We just all have to hope. And not be too scared that she is actually on TV saying the things that she says. My favorite quote from last night's SNL skit- "I believe marriage is a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers." Awesome. She's such an ignorant hypocrite, and she stands to take women back decades in their progress. So let's all just make sure McCain stays in the Senate and she stays up there in Alaska where she belongs.

3. On a lighter note in that regard, Palin did provide me with inspiration for Halloween. Yep, I'm going to be her. Just get me some Tina Fey glasses, peach lipstick and a flag pin and I'll be all set. I've been practicing my lingo: doggone it, bless their hearts, and you betcha'. I can see Russia from my house.

4. I realize that I hate people who talk in the library. I have become like an old curmudgeon. But honestly, when did it become acceptable to chat loudly with others, on cell phones, etc., in the libary?????? It is super annoying. And rude. And disrespectful. I mean, I can't stay in my apartment all the time. Aren't libraries supposed to be quiet places to read and ponder? I miss the mean librarians from back in the day. At least back then people shut up already.

5. I had drama with my class this semester. I guess I was due for a dud class, but was hoping not to have to deal with something extra during this already stressful time. Every class is like pulling teeth. We had a talk and cleared the air in Thursday's class, though, so hopefully things will go more smoothly. I was afraid people would assume that I was neglecting my class because of my exams, when in actuality I have spent more time on it than usual because they are such pains in my butt! There is no worse feeling for me than feeling like a bad teacher. I realized that I am doing all the good teacher things I always do, and now it is up to them to step up.

6. I freaked out a little bit about what comes next. I really am not sure what lies ahead. For the most part I have been doing a good job at taking things one step at a time. After I finish this I will be able to think a bit more about the details of my research plans, moving to TMH, planning a wedding, and all of the exciting (but terrifying) next steps.

Otherwise, I really do love October. The weather is beautiful and baseball is exciting (Go Sox!). It's really an important time for me, and even though the next steps are kind of uncertain, I do have to acknowledge that I'm lucky, and I'm in a pretty good spot. On that note, it's time to get back to it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

PMP,

I like that quote from SNL about the un-willing teenagers, very funny, but i do like the fact that you have a VP wannabe who is a Moose Hunter that is awesome, i would vote for he for that fact alone, your blog is much funnier than MEPs, bye DGP