This week has almost no resemblance to last week. Summer school has a way of taking over your life. The intensity, the chaos, it's all par for the course. Today was fun. I had my first individual class meeting with my own students. Most days I'll do that in the afternoon, and in the morning we'll have a larger group meeting with two other classes (and two other teachers) which means lots of group planning (which is fun but time-consuming, and, let's face it, a little bit annoying at times). Anyway, I went to my first class (which for some reason could not be scheduled in the same building with my partner teachers' classes) and I couldn't get in the building. I mean the door was locked. Um, ok. At this point things like this don't even phase me. So, I am running around campus (carrying all my technology with me, mind you. I have no office space or anything. I'm hauling a laptop, a recorder, my whole bag of books) trying to beg a security guard to let me in the building so I can TEACH A CLASS. Goodness. It's fun to have to beg to be able to do your job, really. To make matters even more disappointing, when we finally got in, it was the most cramped, crowded, inconvenient room ever.
In another couple of days, all these initial kinks should be ironed out (I hope!) and things will proceed intensely, though I hope a little less chaotically.
Life is different in other ways too. I am living with TMH, of course, and we are trying to get into our routine. Part of it is to get up at 6:00 a.m. to go run or work out, since we don't seem to have time in the evening anymore. The past two nights he hasn't even gotten home from work until 8:30 or 9:00 and I have been completely swamped with all of my own work. In addition to dealing with the chaos of summer school I am trying to move forward on my good news of last week (which kind of got lost in the chaos), setting up my research and keeping my priorities in mind. At the moment I feel guilty for sitting down to write this post because really there are so many other things I need to do. I hope the whole summer isn't like this. Given all of that, we've still managed to get up at 6:00 every morning this week. 3 days down... I feel like I deserve extra points or something.
This weekend we are going to TMH's hometown for the big surprise 40th anniversary party that he's been planning (together with his siblings) for his parents for the past several months. I am really looking forward to it. Of course it's bad timing with summer school, but ... screw it. Priorities, I say. I'll manage to get my shit done. I always do, somehow. Next weekend we are going with some of TMH's posh friends to the beach for the 4th (They may be going to the shore, but I'm going to the beach, and I don't plan to pop any collars. I'll certainly let you know how it goes). I am a little apprehensive about that trip, but at least it will be a short week, and it will be the beach (posh or not) so maybe I'll get to remember that it really is summer. After that we have no plans, other than work. Oh, and to make sure to get up at 6:00 a.m. every morning. Ha.
3 comments:
Good on you P & T - 6am is impressive. I am so not a morning person. My alarm goes off at 6.45 and then I listen to the radio and think I should get up - this continues for some time. I normally get out of bed at 7.30 - sometimes even 7.45! It has also been so cold - this time last year I was cruising the Greek Islands in 50 degree heat - now wonder I am feeling the cold this year! On a more positive note I am finished with work for 1 day and 2 whole weeks - so excited.Have fun with T and remember to enjoy your summer - life goes past way too quickly. Bye.
I'm not a morning person either... that's why I think I should get extra credit! I guess this is what happens when you get older...
Anyway, you are right that we've got to take advantage this summer. We will!
Have a great vacation.
Yay for keeping all the ducks in a row, AND going to the BEACH. If you get too annoyed with the popped collars and champagne flutes, sneak away and give me a call! You can let me hear the ocean waves over the phone and we can laugh at the dorks who think money = happiness.
Miss you!
Post a Comment