Monday, October 15, 2007

Knowing is half the battle...

Trouble is, I still don't know.

The meeting itself was quite productive. She was very helpful, gave me lots of ideas and some resources to consider, and seemed generally interested in my interests. I was happy with the way I presented myself. But, at the end, when I asked her to be on my committee, she balked a little. She said she has too many students right now, she hated to say no, but could I give her some time to think about it? Of course I said of course, no rush. Then she said she knew it was important for me to get these things set up. I said I really thought she could bring some good perspective to my work, and she agreed, and said again that she would like to/she is interested, but she would just have to see about her time. So, ok. At least I asked and the ball is rolling... and regardless, I know my proposal for her class will help move my work forward.

And she didn't say no.

I had a quick lunch with my friend and compadre in grad school stress to debrief the experience. She thinks that I should be optimistic (I took this as a good sign because I trust her judgement and she is not known for her optimism). My dad said "well, just write a good proposal and she will agree." Helpful, right? NO pressure, none at all.

Otherwise it was a typical, hectic Monday, with a brief but welcome visit from E. The week is off and running, whether I am ready or not.

Go Sox!

No comments: