Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bourbon Slush

When I got a job in Missouri in 2002, upon completion of my Master's degree, I didn't know what I was in for. My first question: "wait, where is that again?" My friends and family had similar responses (except for the random coincidence that an old friend just happened to be in St. Louis then- what luck). Despite my initial misgivings, it was a great job (one might call it a stepping stone) and a good place for me. A transitional place in many ways, it was also a good thing when I moved away... but that's not today's story.

I learned a lot in my time there and made two very good friends. Tragically, one of them, my great friend and Missouri roommate, died last year after a long illness. It's still hard for me to think about what happened to her. At the age of 27, two days after asking me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding, she collapsed in the grocery store as the result of a fluke heart condition. I imagine her still over there in Missouri sometimes, as if we had just fallen out of touch.

Emily and I lived together in 2001-2002 and had a fantastic time. She taught me about cats, and about what it's like to be from MidMo. We were the best kind of roommates, really. Perhaps most trivially, though strangely importantly, she taught me about bourbon slush. I didn't feel I could continue to share her slush recipe without telling more of her story. Now, for those of you who are unaware, bourbon slush is a Missouri tradition. In Emily's family it was a Christmas treat. Those of you who have had the good fortune to sample bourbon slush may be tempted to drink it at other times. I encourage you to enjoy your bourbon slush responsibly; if you want to make it at other times at least make it a special occasion!

How to prepare:

1 can frozen orange juice (from concentrate, melted)
2 cans frozen lemonade
1.5 OJ cans bourbon (now is NOT the time to bust out the good bourbon. I find Evan Williams works well)
1.5 cans hot tea (brewed to be quite strong)
water to taste

So, you mix all the ingredients in a big plastic pitcher. Then you put it in the freezer overnight to let it freeze. One of the best things about bourbon slush is the consistency. (It's frozen in a way that you could never achieve with ice and a blender).

Now comes the fun part! Taste it. You'll find you need a spoon at first. If it's too strong (either OJ strong- that's a lot of concentrate, right?- or bourbon strong) you should add water or more tea. I have been working on perfecting my recipe, and I find I always end up adding both water and tea, and then maybe a bit more bourbon. Look out... it really packs a punch.

Over the years I have made the slush many times, for both family and friends, and I will say it's always a crowd-pleaser.... and people always want to know more about it. I made it this weekend for a party... me and TMH's first party together as a married couple (part housewarming, part "we got married," part "we just need to have a party because it's February") and it was a huge hit. As I continue my quest to perfect it, I think about my friend Emily. This is hardly enough of a tribute to her, but I think she would be happy to know how many people (particularly Yankees) have learned about and appreciated her Missouri family tradition through my efforts. May the love of the slush continue to spread. Enjoy!

No comments: