Saturday, March 8, 2008

Rainy Day

It's Saturday again, and here I am at my desk, drinking my coffee and looking out the window at a very typical dreary day here in this very typically overcast town. I think it's only barely raining- 33 outside I think- so we'll see when the ice/snow start. I have a lot on my plate for the weekend, what with one week to go before spring break, and my newfound schedule and official plan of work. I have definitely continued to buzz around like the busy bee that I am.

At least I slept in, so it does feel like a weekend. I clearly needed my sleep too... I slept for 10 hours! It's been a bit of a stressful week and I know the week ahead will be as well, but spring break is within my grasp, so that's what I'll keep telling myself. I got caught holding my breath at work this week, which I guess is a common reaction to stress. Not good. Yesterday I managed to not go to work, which did wonders for my mental health. I had a meeting with my boss (which I was NOT thrilled about, as I had already worked more than my hours for the week, including substitute teaching for her class again. I have enough of my own work to do without doing her's, plus meetings with her tend to go on and on, and get off-track) but when she called to change the time I deftly managed to cover the content of our meeting on the phone. It was MUCH more efficient than our usual system, and it meant that I didn't have to go to work, so I will have to try this strategy more often.

I also have to remind myself that my own work is interesting... I like it, that's why I'm doing it! I just struggle with all the different hats I have to wear. I am much more content with the student hat right now. The teacher hat and the general worker hat are not as comfortable. Things are stressful in our program right now, to say the least.

In other news, TMH and I were fighting this week. I would say it wasn't serious-a general symptom of both of our stress levels and the different ways that we approach our schedules- but still something we have to work on. I try to be considerate of his strict boundary between work time and personal time, which means that I don't call to bother him or get upset when I don't hear from him, but then in return I think he should try to find some time in his day to let me know he hasn't forgotten about me. It only has to take a minute, you know? No one likes to feel like an inconvenience. More often than not we don't talk until late at night when we are both exhausted and he sounds like the last thing he wants to do is talk to me. I know I am supposed to understand that it's not about me, and he's just tired and stressed, but that's difficult. So, we are working on it. The problem is clearly exacerbated by the distance, but I think it will be an ongoing communication challenge for us regardless of where we live, so I hope we can find a more positive way to approach it.

I am really looking forward to spring break. I will see TMH next weekend. He has a surprise planned for us for Saturday night! I am not sure what he has up his sleeve... but he said I should bring some hottie pantalones and a dressier outfit than usual, so that will be fun. Then I get to go home and see my mom for a few days. Yay for quiet time at home! It should actually be spring at home, too, which is an added bonus. I hope to get some work done while I'm there... should be very low key. Then TMH and I are going on a long ski weekend for Easter, because at least he gets Good Friday off. We haven't gotten to ski at all this year, so we are really looking forward to it.

Now, I just have to get through the week and get all the things done that need to be done so I can leave town... which means I better get to work! Happy weekend, everyone.

1 comment:

Sunshine Mom said...

You have such a nice Spring Break planned. I'm totally jealous. :) Of course, this is the time of year we get miffed living in Florida. Drunk college students everywhere! We stay away from the 7-11 and the beach for a good month. The snowbirds have all left, now the drunken students come, and when they leave the summer crowds start coming. The poor Europeans. They are so happy to be here and so easy to pick out of a crowd. Every male European wears a soccer shirt and every man, woman, and child is lobster red. I feel so bad for them.