Mine seem to be rearing their ugly heads lately, despite my current successes and overall happiness. Maybe it's the changes in my life right now. Or maybe it's because I'm getting married. In any case, I need to confront and conquer them, once and for all. OK, well, to be realistic, maybe they will come back to visit sometimes, but they need to know their place.
I think you need to be at peace with yourself before you get married. You need to be proud of who you are. You need to know your flaws... and your partner needs to know them too, so you know what you are working with, so you can accept yourselves and each other. I think TMH and I are in that place. We can do it, though perhaps we have a few things to work on. Of course we do; everyone has things to work on.
The officiant for our wedding was telling me that she thinks many wedding ceremonies are too solemn. You hear a lot of warnings about how hard marriage is and how many things can go wrong. They portray the marriage with a sense of foreboding. She says of course marriage is hard. It's hard work, and you have to be prepared for some heavy lifting. But the wedding is a time to celebrate. In the next month or so we'll have to balance thinking about the serious elements of our relationship with the joy we feel to have found each other and to be making this commitment. We are very fortunate. Demons, beware. You are not going to get in our way.
1 comment:
Sure, marriage can be hard, but don't let anyone freak you out. Your wedding will be a beautiful celebration and everyone will be deliriously happy! :)
Post a Comment