My failure to post recently gives some indication as to how busy I've been. I know I'm not special; as I mentioned in my last post it seems that everyone I know is too busy. We're all just jugglers, right? Work, home, work, relationship, work, future work, work, health. Here's what it looks like for me:
6:00 am ish- Wake up and go running (Never thought I would be one for early a.m. exercise, but I have to tell you, I am hooked.)
7:00 am- Come home, get ready for work, make/eat breakfast
8:00 am- Out the door to get on the bus or the train, depending on which one seems like it will be faster and/or less annoying
8:30 am- Prep for class
9:00-11:00 am- Teach or participate in some other student activities
11:00-1:00 Devour my lunch because I'm starving already. Grade papers. Prepare for class. Laugh with partner teachers about whatever ridiculous thing has happened that day (Today it was me reading my student's paper on Ancient Greece. He spent the entire time talking about Ancient Geek. Hey, it works in spell check, right?) Be ridiculous (my colleagues are really hilarious. They are schooling me on what it means to be from where they're from. We laugh a lot about accents). Complain about things. Make phone calls and do wedding planning activities.
1:00-3:00- Teach. Get fired up at students.
3:00-6:00- Meet with whatever students need to see me after class. Go to meetings or attend other summer school related events. (This week I had a meeting with a woman about work for next semester. We'll see...) Grade, prepare, repeat lunchtime activities apart from chatting with colleagues and eating. Decide which mode of transport seems the most appropriate to get home. Wonder why the hell I'm so tired.
6:00-7:00 Try to do something productive at home before TMH gets home. Laundry, cooking, house stuff, wedding stuff, you name it. This really should be dissertation time but at this stage of summer school it's pretty unrealistic to think I'm getting much done.
TMH usually gets home around 7:30 or 8:00, at which point we eat dinner, do whatever chores we need to do together (the registry is on our list for tonight) and hang out, before he makes the lunches (one of the nicest things he does for us/me; he always packs my lunch) and we have to go to bed because we're exhausted. We always, always, always run out of time.
Two more weeks of summer school, and then we'll see what happens.....
All I really know about life after summer school right now is that 1. I'm getting married, and 2. I am supposed to finish my dissertation. I guess that's enough for now.
1 comment:
We got the invitation! Yay!! Went to Target yesterday for the first time since you left. It was hard, but I had to stay focused on the laundry detergent mission so as not to get all sad. Really missed you especially when the loud people in the home section were making ridiculous conversation so that everyone in a 50 foot radius could hear. Back to school is around the corner when the place goes nuts and it's all you can do to get in, make your tactical strike in the detergent/bathroom tissue section, and get out. I'm sure the Target staff is wondering where that cute lesbian couple has been lately. ;-)
Post a Comment