Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A good wife...


I want women, especially girls, who appreciate their freedoms to understand that this is real... that this was really in a magazine, and really part of the expectations for a wife's behavior back in 1955. We've come a long way... sort of. How many men still think their topics of conversation are more important than your's? So don't go taking your freedoms for granted, and thinking that women like Sarah Palin represent something good for America. OK?

TMH had to go to a women's college the other day for recruiting. He went with two of his coworkers who were alumnae of the school. He said the career services woman greeted both women warmly, and then simply gave him the nod. His reaction: "she hates men." I understand his reaction, but at the same time I was thinking it was good for TMH to have the experience. He is never a fish out of water in his work.... and how many women have been at some point along the way, especially in the business world? So, keep fighting, girls... and don't forget how far we've come!

2 comments:

PMP said...

OK, I have just been informed that this article is a hoax, but I bet you I can find a similar one that was real. In any case, the sentiments behind the "good wife" still stand... and I still want women to remember the progress we've made.

PMP said...

And another thing... when Catherine Hepburn went to my (womens' college), she wasn't even allowed to wear pants, much less jeans. Can you imagine? No pants allowed. And let's not forget that most universities didn't even accept women until much later. Don't forget!